Narrated ‘Abdur-Rahman bin Ya’mar that Rasulallah ﷺ said:
“The Hajj is ‘Arafat, the Hajj is ‘Arafat, the Hajj is ‘Arafat.”
[At-Tirmidhi | Graded Sahih]
Rasulallah ﷺ said that Hajj is ‘Arafah. Why? Why specifically ‘Arafah, when there are other Hajj manasik that must be done? Why is the time specifically between Zuhr until Maghrib on the 9th of Dhul Hijjah becomes more important than the rest?
Because ‘Arafah is du’a.
‘Arafah is calling upon Allah.
‘Arafah is turning to Allah.
‘Arafah is about making sincere tawbah to Allah.
‘Arafah is THE time to make supplications like we’ve never done before. They’re not supplications like we make when calamities hit us, when it’s easy to call upon Allah out of desperation. They’re not supplications done at our convenience. But they’re supplications done because Allah s.w.t. has commanded to do so – for five hours straight.
And this is the trial for the hujjaj. There are those who stood and wept in ‘Arafah not because from making supplications, but because they came unprepared. Five hours can be a very long period of time for the unprepared.
But if you come prepared, then that time is extremely short.
There are so much to repent from.
So many sins to ask for forgiveness.
So many shortcomings that need to be rectified.
So many requests to ask of – for a long-lasting iman and taqwa, for becoming a muhsin, for becoming one of the ulul albab, for becoming from the foremost of the foremost, for His rizq and barakah, for His help against the whispers of shaitan, for His help in all affairs, for istiqamah on the Straight Path, for husnul khotimah, for protection from the torments of the grave and Jahannam, for the highest place in Jannah, and for everything else that is khayr for our family, friends, teachers and the rest of the ummah. Prepare these supplications in advance even before going for Hajj.
A good tip is to divide these critical 5 hours for specific supplications, for example:
- The first hour is reserved only for yourself to make tawbah and personal supplications. Prioritize tawbah before all other supplications.
- Then the next 30 minutes are for your spouse; make du’a to Allah that he/she is among the soliheen, who preserve their chastity and modesty, guard their solat, love to go to the masaajid and knowledge circles, love to read and ponder over the Qur’an and so forth.
- Then the next is for your parents; make du’a to Allah for their health in the physical and spiritual sense, for husnul khotimah; and if they have passed away, then ask for their forgiveness, for Allah’s Mercy upon them, for sakinah in their graves, and so on.
- Then the next is for your children and do not generalize your du’a, rather make individual du’a for each child because every one of them has their own struggles and weaknesses.
- Then the next is for your siblings and other family members, friends, teachers, and the ummah at large. Never forget to include the ummah in our du’a.
Rasulallah ﷺ said du’a is ‘ibadah.  Since Hajj is one of the mighty acts of worship, and ‘Arafah is du’a, then this is why Hajj is essentially ‘Arafah. Because ultimately, du’a is the essence of ‘ibadah.
This is why ‘Arafah is truly among the greatest blessings of Hajj for the one who manages to fully maximize those time in making sincere tawbah and supplications. Remember that ‘Arafah is a day to earn Allah’s forgiveness and freedom from the Fire. Rasulallah ﷺ said:
“There is no day when Allah sets free more slaves from the Fire than the day of ‘Arafah. He draws near and expresses His pride to the angels and says:
What do these people want?”
May we be gathered in the remembrance of Allah on the Day of ‘Arafah, and may we be chosen as those whom Allah s.w.t. praises His slaves to His angels on that day, and may we remain in this state of khushoo’ and sincerity until the last of our days.
 Sunan Abi Dawud | https://sunnah.com/abudawud/8/64